Saturday, June 4, 2011

It's June already!?

It's actually 4 days into June already, but I still can't believe it. I think May went by so quickly I didn't even stop to actually say "It's May," and now that's gone and here's June. Wow. Well, I don't even have time right now to download and post any pics or videos, but I just wanted to say hi. :)

We've had a wonderful whirlwind of weeks recently. We had visitors for a bit, then we visited another family and church for a weekend, and then we went away for a team retreat and had a fantastic time reconnecting on a "fun" level. :) We've noticed that we interact too often on a "work" level and forget that we actually have a lot of fun together, too. It was good for us to get away from the city for a while and explore a new place together. More on that, with pics, another time.

Our 2 summer interns have also arrived and just in time to help us work hard through the next 2 1/2 months. They've both been here before for our camps, so it's nice to work with them again and to know that they are already familiar with Olomouc and our goals here. Our teens are happy to see them again and that's also encouraging for us. I'm really looking forward to having them here for the summer. We had them over for dinner last night and Jakub also loved the new attention. They couldn't believe how much he has changed in a year and he couldn't believe he had such an attentive and encouraging audience. ;) He put on quite the show of ball-kicking, running and screaming, and, laughing. He's becoming quite the little entertainer.

A few more fun things to mention about Jakub:
- He started bicycling his legs when we lift him up now, it's hilarious to see. He's so quick and strong!
- He loves to pick up a book and start "reading" to me. He very seriously utters complete nonsense. I love it!
- He has an amazing throw and kick with the ball. I'm getting some on video now to share soon. I'm really not trying to brag, I'm just amazed. He's very coordinated, patient, and controlled. He actually drops the ball in front of him on the floor, lines it up, steps back a bit, then runs and kicks perfectly. We just can't believe it and are surely egging it on with lots of clapping and oooing. :)
- He's started actually noticing the food that enters his mouth and doesn't just scarf it all down now. He picks it a part, eats certain things before others, and sometimes refuses something for a minute, but in the end he still eats it all well and eats many different things. He's loving the fresh green peas, strawberries, peppers, and grapes we just got from the local outdoor market.
- He's currently sleeping really well and I'm thrilled. For a few months it was from 730 or 8 to 6 or 630, which I know is still pretty good. Now it's from 730 to 730 or 830 with an almost 2 hour nap after lunch. It may be a growth spurt... what ever the reason I'm happy and he seems well rested. I really don't think he does well getting up before 7. I know I don't. :)
- We've been in the car on some road trips lately and he does really well in the car. We aren't used to riding too often, or to going more than 10-15 min. at a time, but recently we've been gone a couple of hours at a time and he's doing well. I'm glad! Though, he prefers companions in the back. And he likes music and sings along some. I like that he tries to sing and it's such a sweet sound right now!
- He's started having some shyness with strangers and will try to hide behind us or turn away. If he can't turn away he'll at least turn his eyes, but he always gets a big smile on his face and will soon turn back. I'm glad, he seems to by shy but still very friendly and doesn't take too long to get comfortable again.
- And even just today he seems to suddenly say more words and say them more clearly. He said "please" perfectly today with the "l" and "s" clearly there. It was great. :) And he puts 2 words together like "hi, mama" "right there" and "all done." He looks right at us and is so clearly communicating with us. I think he's going to talk a lot and want to know how everything works and why. Right now I'm really looking forward to that. :) I love talking to him and teaching him new things. He's pretty patient and likes to learn and read and "talk."

Ok... off to bed. Sorry for the lack of pics. I hope you enjoyed the post anyway. More soon. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment