Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Visiting the Doctor

We had our 7-week-old visit to the doctor on Tuesday afternoon. One thing I love is that his doctor is located in the building outside of our apartment building. We literally have to walk a matter of feet to visit his doctor. It's a wait-in-line process here so, I like to go right when they open and immediately after feeding him so that he's well behaved for the visit:) So far he's been perfect for 3 different visits. Everything checked out well at this one. He weighed in at 14 lbs 1 oz. :) He's growing well! They don't always measure length but, Josh and I tried to tonight at home and I think he's 25 inches now. I know he's growing quickly in length because he's wearing 3 mo outfits in length, but not in size yet. Sadly, the outfit he wore on Christmas Day did not fit tonight when I went to put it on. It just all changes so quickly! Next month we'll have some shots to look forward to at the doctor... otherwise things are going pretty well.

He's a pretty easy and calm baby until it comes to sleeping. He sleeps so well once he gets there, but putting him to sleep has become a bit of a crying game. Any tips from you Moms out there? I've read some tips in a book called "The Baby Whisperer," and I really like them. I've been using them for a while, though, and so far it's working well enough, but it's not breaking the crying game yet. I think it just might be his nature as well. He's a very social baby and loves to be around people and to talk a lot and observe everything, but he overstimulates some and then seems to cry it out before sleeping. I also realize that he's only 7 weeks old and is still learning about his environment and his own ways and routine. It's early yet, but I'm trying to start good habits now for the future. I would love any tips any of you have on a good napping/bedtime routine or habits for helping them off to sleep more easily. I would love to be able to put him in his bed and have him go to sleep on his own. That's the goal of these baby whisperer tips. I know it will take time, though. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who has small children.

That's it for now:) More pictures to come soon.

2 comments:

  1. First, I love love love reading your blog and seeing your little Jakub. He's such a cutie!
    Second, Ava has always been a sleep fighter. It does get easier as they get older. She used to fuss till she went to sleep, and I just rocked her until she calmed down and went to sleep. Now, at 9.5 months old, she doesn't fuss but kicks or moves her arms or talks, anything to keep herself awake. I rock her and just completely ignore her and she eventually settles down. When I put her down she either isn't asleep or wakes up and has to put herself to sleep. She's getting good at it now. I don't really have any tips, but I just wanted you to know that it gets easier. Eventually, crying isn't their only means of communication. Just do what you feel is right, and it will work out for you!!

    I'm so glad everything is going well for you, and I know you are such a good mommy! Enjoy every moment because it really does fly by!

    -Lindsey Greer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if just depends on the baby. Harper never could put herself to sleep. We tried letting her cry it out, yeah right!!! She just got more and more worked up. Now she goes to sleep on her own. She still fights sometimes because she also is a social butterfly. She doesn't want to miss a thing. Lillian, however, is pretty good to go to sleep if you lay her down and leave her alone. She actually just fell asleep on the couch while I was fixing Harper lunch. Some babies are just better at it than others. Just keep giving him the opportunity to learn and try to put himself to sleep and someday he will learn how to do it. Our biggest tip that we aren't that good at following through with is keeping a constant bedtime routine. Bath, book, then sleep or whatever works for you three. This helps so much with Harper. She knows the steps and does well to not fight going to sleep if Saul and I do our part of instituting her bedtime routine. Sounds like you are doing great. Keep it up! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete