Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Svaty Mikulas!

Today is Saint Nicholas Day in the Czech Republic (and a lot of Europe).  Unfortunately Jakub is still at home (or with his Babicka) until next Monday due to his ear infection, so he didn't get to enjoy this holiday at school with his friends.  They have a person come, dressed as Saint Nicholas, and ask the kids if they've been good to their teachers, friends, and family.  Then they give them fruit and chocolates.  Jakub has an amazing Babicka (an older, grandmother-like, woman who helps watch him during the mornings) who arranged for a St. Nick to come visit her home this morning and bring Jakub some treats.  So, so sweet!  I'm thankful for her and how much she helps us and loves him.

So this evening, after our Moms' and Kids' program was over, we went to the main square for the holiday celebration.  They have live bands, children's stories, Christmas markets, ice skating, and then a fireworks show set to music.  It was awesome this year and we enjoyed with alongside Jakub and a couple of our teenage friends.  Jakub was startled at first, then a little scared, and then settled in to it and later said the fireworks was his favorite part of the night. :)

Here's a picture of what our square looks like right now.  It's very magical and definitely Christmas-like.  I love this holiday season and for so many reasons beyond just the little, fun ones I've already mentioned.  Here's the picture.  I'm off to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment